Hello. I am Joan Dawson, an experienced Psychotherapist and Counsellor, offering brief and longer-term therapy to individuals in Gateshead and the surrounding area. I have been in private practice since 2006 and worked for ten years in the NHS.
I believe that therapy is suitable for anyone. You may have a clear idea of the problem you are bringing, or you may feel depressed or anxious without understanding why.
As an Integrative Psychotherapist I consider different aspects of your experience, as many factors will play a part in how you are feeling:
- Your thoughts and 'inner dialogue' - how you view yourself
- Your situation, relationships, work
- Your emotions - feeling overwhelmed, distressed or numb
- Difficult or traumatic experiences in childhood
- What may be lacking in life - fulfilment, enjoyment
- Physical well-being including sleep
- Physiological factors - body chemistry
In therapy I would help you to explore and express your experiences so that together we can understand them, then find ways to reduce your distress and improve your well-being.
DBS Checked (Disclosure and Barring Service)